Who needs Taco Bell!?
One of the first recipes I found was a Taco Bell Crunch Wrap. Vegan Style!
Most tortillas are vegan. Thank your lucky stars! They are my delivery vehicle of choice for many meals.
I struggle daily with what my meat-eating husband and 10 year olds will eat. This is hard all the way around. I have to cook most of the time for myself, but who wants to work an 8-10 hour day only to cook something no one else will eat? It is truly the bane of my current existence.
The girls are the hardest. Even when I cooked meat, Willa rarely ate what I prepared. Harper is a good eater, but lately seems to be less interested in meatless options. There is always an excuse… too spicy, too hot, and too meatless. Ugh!
I have tried to search recipes the kids love that I can make meatless. Turkey Bolognese is their favorite. However, even I am hesitant about that meatless option.
What is a working, vegan mom to do?
I found a recipe for Vegan Taco Bell Crunch Wraps. Surely, that will please the finicky 10 year olds in the house. Well, it please the husband and one 10 year old. I am getting warmer.
Here is what you will need:
Extra Large Flour tortillas
Tostadas (round and flat)
Refried beans (1 can)
1 diced tomato
1 chopped avocado
A little shredded soy cheese if you like
Hot Sauce of your choosing
1 can sliced black olives
Shredded lettuce if you wish (my sister always says lettuce should only be for salads)
- Spread a layer of the refried beans on a tostada shell gently.
- Top with your choice of ingredients. I like avocado, olives, tomatoes, and a little soy cheese.
- Place the topped tostada in the center of a huge flour tortilla. Wrap it a little at a time to cover the tostada. Picture below.
- Heat a large skillet on medium high heat.
- There will be a little opening, as the tortilla will not totally wrap around the covered tostada.
- Have you seen or bought the Avocado Oil Spray (Costco has it and so does Sprouts). Spray the folded side of the Crunch Wrap and place that side onto a hot skillet.
- Leave for 5-8 minutes. Or, until browned. It needs to brown to seal it.
- Flip and spray that side with avocado oil spray (you could use Olive Oil Spray. I know PAM makes one).
- Brown that side as well.
I serve this with more Crystal hot sauce!
Nothing like a hand held meal. Travis loves this and so do I. It is so much healthier than a Run for the Boarder. Nevertheless, it satisfies a junk food craving. Can you tell I ate this in bed;)?
I also love that I normally have all these ingredients stocked in my pantry.
I hope your kids like it!