What I made when I needed a comfort food Sunday!
I reverted to Jackfruit! I had a rough weekend. Many things were good, but Friday was a rough day. Whew! Like, really tough…
Much of my weekend was lovely. One of my very best friends had a wonderful birthday party on Saturday. Her parents threw a shrimp boil and many of my favorite people were there. My friend’s father even made me my own vegan veggies! It was awesome!
But, after several nights of not sleeping well, I needed some comfort food Sunday evening. Travis and I binged watched a Netflix series Sunday and I made Jackfruit Taquitos. I am getting into this Jackfruit craze! It is easy to have on hand.
This is a comfort food you can put together fast, and it feels and tastes like a splurge. Travis even helped!
Here is what you will need:
1 can Jackfruit (cut the point off so they will separate)
2 Tbs avocado or olive oil
1 small white onion chopped small
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp Cheyenne pepper
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp salt
½ can HATCH green enchilada sauce
Juice from 1 lime
8 corn tortillas (maybe 10-12 depending on the size)
Vegan ranch of some sort for dipping – I used JUST Chipotle Mayo
- Preheat oven to 400 . Line a backing sheet with parchment. Get your toothpicks ready!
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat oil and cook onions until translucent. About 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute.
- Add jalapeno, jackfruit, and dry spices and cook about five minutes. I broke up the jackfruit with my wooden spoon during this time.
- While that is cooking. Throw your tortillas in a wet, clean dish towel and microwave 1 minute.
- Put about 3-4 tbs across one third of each tortilla. Roll tightly and secure with a toothpick. Place seam side down on the baking sheet.
- Brush or spray with olive oil.
- Bake for 18 minutes or until golden!
- Serve with your favorite sauce for dipping!
These were delish! You may want to cut back on the Cheyenne a bit if you like a mild heat.
With all the craziness this weekend, I didn’t meal plan and cook like normal. We ate out the last two nights. That is not my favorite thing to do, but with activities and work obligations it is just the way our life works out sometimes.
I hope everyone is having a great week!